19 July 2019

In the allotment, July 2019

I really need to get my camera to the allotment!  I'm up there almost every day, even though we don't have chickens there currently, but I still have no photos of it.

Tthe husband, son and I got the final uncultivated section of the allotment all sheet mulched, and looks so much tidier.  I suspect we will have to sheet mulch again once it has fully broken down, but the wood chips should help prevent new weed seedlings from germinating, which is half the battle.

After finishing the sheet mulch (and much carting back and forth with wheelbarrow and wood chips--we pretty much depleted the whole pile from the communal waste), I planted out some cabbage and purple sprouting broccoli next to the strawberry plants, also newly transplanted.  I covered the seedlings with a bit of insect mesh and an old net curtain;  I just draped them over loosely and secured the edges with bricks.  The mesh/curtain is mainly to stop the pigeons eating them, but will also keep the cabbage white butterflies off for now.  And I've been gradually sowing rows of root vegetables:  I push aside the wood chips, put down an inch or two of potting compost on top of the cardboard, sow seed, and then gently push back the wood chips.  If it stays dry they may not come to much, but I thought I'd take a chance at least.

The broad beans finished at last, and I pulled up the plants and laid cardboard over them.  I haven't replanted just yet, or even covered the cardboard with mulch (though the wood chips are finished, there's still some partly composted horse bedding at the other end of the allotments).

The yellow mange tout peas are still producing, though they're slowing down, and I've left several pods to develop for seed.  The regular peas are maturing and some of the pods are starting to dry, which is my intention for this crop.  I want lots and lots of pea soup over winter, and even more rows of peas next year.

As far as everything else goes, it's all drowning in weeds!  Well, the potatoes and pumpkins are less weedy comparatively, and both seem to have good growth;  there are several small pumpkins forming now, but I'm not planning on digging up potatoes for a little while longer.  There are some little beans forming though the plants are sparse;  cucumbers too:  small plants but a few fruits starting.  There are a couple beets of moderate size, and I think the row of shallots is about ready to come up.

From now, I'll be trying to get a few more winter/spring brassicas transplanted, and a few more rows of roots sown.

No comments:

Post a Comment