16 July 2019

Brassicas, Peas and poppies

Close up of a large cauliflower growing
Nearly big enough, July 2019
 The Peas and Beans bed also doubles as the Brassicas bed;  once the early peas are gone, the winter brassicas can transplant into their places.  Well, the snap peas and mange tout peas are about finished, but I still managed to get some brassicas into the gaps this spring too, such as the above cauliflower.  I planted several, but most of them stayed pretty small--this one is about 8 inches diameter in the photo. 

I've got some kale and purple sprouting broccoli seedlings to put in once I take out the mange tout--the snap peas are already interplanted with the cauliflowers, but there will be a good sized gap once the mange tout are gone.

I'll also plant out some winter cabbages at the allotment, in the newly sheet mulched area to the front--maybe some kale there too.
Many multicolored poppies growing in a garden
Color in the Peas and Beans bed, July 2019
I didn't have the heart to pull up all the poppies that sprang up amongst the peas--I just like them too much (it's hard to tell, but I did pull up some).  I'll probably get them out when I do the mange tout, and there are some others in the Roots bed too, not causing too much mayhem.

No comments:

Post a Comment