09 May 2023

Planting out at last

I've started transplanting out my first seed trays, both at home and at the allotment.  Recall I've been trying out a new-to-me method using waste wool sheets under a layer of compost in my trays.  I have been playing around a little with this, as it's kind of awkward to cut the wool sheet apart once the seedlings are growing in it;  I've tried putting a little ball of wool inside individual pots, and also have tried tearing up the sheets into smaller wispy bits and using these as the first layer in a tray.  I haven't yet transplanted any of these additional experiments.

However my first transplants, a small row of lettuces growing in wool, have taken remarkably well and seem to have begun growing immediately upon planting out--no sign of transplant shock.  Perhaps I helped them along slightly by covering the row in mesh (to protect from bird damage), but I think it was probably more due to the wool.

I have transplanted my first tray of corn too, but these I did slightly differently;  they were sown into modules instead of trays, with no space for wool.  When planting out, I put a little wad of wispy wool in the bottom of each hole before placing the seedling on top.  These are also covered in mesh until they find their feet, but I hope they'll be up and running by the end of the week.  I have one more tray of corn to go up at the allotment (within a few days hopefully).

There are lots more trays to go, including beets, kale, cabbage and more;  plus the indoor grown modules/pots such as beans and tomatoes--like the corn, these have been gradually hardened off outside as it's grown warmer;  they are ready to go as soon as I can snatch a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment