04 April 2023

Using waste wool

I'm trying out a slightly different method for sowing seeds in trays, using some sheets of sheep wool which insulates our monthly milk delivery.  The sheets are about 5 cm thick and maybe 30 cm x 150 cm. I've been cutting the woolly sheets to fit the tray and sowing seed into a thin layer of potting compost on top. It's likely I'll need to use scissors to separate individual seedlings for planting so I've sown in regular intervals in the tray, rather than broadcasting; the idea is that the wool underneath the seedling will provide a sheltered growing medium during transplant and reduce transplant shock. You may recall I experimented with soil blocks last year, but was eventually unimpressed with them. Maybe this will work out better.

I've got quite a lot of these woolly sheets as two come every month; some of them are composting at the allotment (the packaging recommends composting), and I've tried mulching with them as well, though unfortunately the slugs and bugs seem to enjoy this cozy shelter. It might even work when sowing seed direct into the beds to employ the same method: lay down a sheet of wool, cover with compost, sow. I may try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment