28 March 2023

Update, March 2023

The weather has been up and down over the past few weeks, with a few really nice days, and some cold wet weather, including snow.  On the whole, mostly not great weather for gardening, though I've managed a few snatches here and there.  

I'm slowly building a woven bamboo fence for the duck yard, replacing their disintegrating chicken wire.  I'm using narrow diameter canes I pruned from the bamboo bush earlier this spring, woven and tied together.  I collected a bunch of holey black socks from the son and cut them into small, stretchy strips to use as ties.  It's only a light fence and though decorative probably would not keep chickens in;  ducks are easier to contain as they don't really jump.  I've got the middle section of the fence in place, but it needs to extend a bit further on each side to keep ducks in.  (The three ducks are still in the much smaller chicken yard, under the avian flu housing order.)

The chickens have tractored most of the veg beds at home, and are now onto mowing the lawn in their tractor.  It's nice to see the beds all tidy and ready to sow, and it only entailed moving the tractor a few feet every day--what hard working birds.

I put down a few more rows of carrot seed in the kitchen garden, and the son helped me put down another batch of snap peas at the allotment.  The first batches of peas and broad beans are sprouting up, at last.  I've left the insect mesh on top of them until they're a couple inches up--next week hopefully.  If we get some warmer weather, they might come up a little faster.

I've begun harvesting my small patch of purple sprouting broccoli, have collected a couple of eggs (the first of the year), and am still picking curly kale and the odd leek.  The spring cabbages probably won't be ready until May or June, but they are finally starting to grow after overwintering in the kitchen garden.  Fruit trees and shrubs are starting to put out buds and the plum tree is actually blooming.  

Hopefully the weather will start cooperating;  I have lots more to do this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment