07 March 2023

State of the flock, March 2023

We currently have five hens, ranging in age from about 3 to 6 years old.  That's pretty ancient, for chickens.  Even to make it to 3 is quite a feat!  They really aren't laying eggs, mainly due to age I think, but also partly because they've been locked indoors for so long (since November, because of the avian flu outbreak).  

We also have two ducks and a drake, all around 4-5 years old.  I don't actually know how long ducks usually last, but I'm guessing these are getting up there too.  No eggs from this lot either.

As we are under the housing order, all the birds are back at home where it is a little more roomy than at the allotment.  Plus I can comply with the biosecurity measures much more easily than at a semi-public place.  For the coldest part of winter, they were in their house/yard with a little covered porch.  Now that it's a bit warmer, we've dragged out the old chicken tractor for them.

The husband built the tractor out of some old pallets, wire, and bubble/foil insulation.  It's very small, maybe 1 m x 1.2 m;  has no floor or windows, just a piece of wire where the front "door" is.  On the plus side, it's very easy to move.  We've got the hens living in there now (the ducks are still in the yard), and the son and I move them to a new bit of the veg beds every day.  So instead of constantly standing in their own manure, they get fresh ground with a chance of greens and bugs.  Maybe not a great situation, but certainly an improvement.

Because of the ongoing bird flu situation, I don't think we'll be getting any new birds, instead letting our flock die out naturally.  If scientists make a vaccine or if the virus evolves into something less nasty, I would probably change my mind.  Until then, it's against my animal welfare principles to get more birds when I know they will be miserable.  I will do my best with the flock I have, but I won't be adding to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment