14 March 2023

I can't believe it snowed

The son got his birthday wish one day late this year:  he had a snow day off school;  he and the daughter stayed home and had a fun morning playing in the snow, although the daughter had to come in twice to change into dry clothes and warm up her hands.  Myself, I only visited briefly to take a few photos as I've been unwell this last week (feeling better now).

A cluster of orange berberis flowers on a snowy branch
Berberis starting to flower, March 2023
Although I had prior warning, it seems some of the plants were caught unawares, including the almond tree.  I don't think it took much damage, not being in full bloom, though it looks pretty flowery in the photo!
An almond tree blooming amid snowy rooftops
Almond starting to flower, March 2023
The combination of very cold weather (we had a week of frosts leading up to the snow) and my illness meant that a batch of broad beans got sown almost a week later than I planned--this time I pre-sprouted them in a jar in my kitchen (instead of in the garage in a bag of damp compost) so I just kept rinsing them twice a day, trying to keep them growing and not going moldy.  Thankfully at the weekend--snow all melted--the son helped me get them in at the allotment.
A small girl and a big boy rolling a snowball to make a snowman
Daughter and son making a snowman
I've also not yet started my March seeds;  I particularly want to start the beets, but there are quite a few seeds to go.  Hopefully I'll get time to start some trays this week, or weekend at the latest.

No comments:

Post a Comment