02 May 2023

At the allotment, May 2023

A bit more work has been done at the allotment, rather than just a once a week visit to pick kale, my winter routine.  The past few weekends the son and I have been emptying compost bins (and beginning to refill with horse bedding from the onsite stables), sheet mulching, and even a small amount of weeding--mainly thistles and a few nettles.

The husband repaired the wire around the chicken yard and I did a few adjustments to their coop, and now all five hens are up there, taking care of the rampant grass covering their yard.  I hope they can clear it all away by June;  if so, I'll bring them back home and plant it up with squash and/or zucchini.  If not, they can stay up there until it gets too hot, like when we had a 40C heat wave last summer.

I have a few trays of seedling here at home just about ready to transplant into the new sheet mulch;  I know the beets will be fine and I'm going to try the kohl rabi this year too.  While there are almost no slugs and bugs in the kitchen garden (thank you ducks) the allotment is teeming with them--I make sure the most vulnerable crops stay at home but I have to balance this against crop rotation too.  Last year I grew mostly brassicas including kohl rabi at home;  I have to rotate them to the allotment this year, or not grow them at all.

I'll also try the corn at the allotment again this summer--last summer something pulled it all out and ate it just as soon as I transplanted it.  This year I sowed double the amount and will keep one tray back--and I'll cover the rows with mesh to hopefully prevent any digging.

No comments:

Post a Comment