16 May 2023

Dirty fingernails

In the last few days I've planted out half the tomatoes, sowed some dill and two packets of dwarf French beans, and sowed a couple more seed trays of beets and kohl rabi--all these at home.  At the allotment I've planted out purple climbing beans, corn, kohl rabi and beets, and laid down more sheet mulch.  I've got some tomatoes and red kale up there just waiting to be planted out later today or tomorrow.

Later this week or at the weekend I've got some more climbing beans to go out, along with the last of the tomatoes and I'll be sowing more trays for winter veg, particularly winter brassicas.  I want to get a few more rows of root veg seeds sown too:  more carrots and parsnips (some already up and growing), as well as daikon radish, turnip and swede.

I've been a whirlwind of planting out and sowing seeds, and my fingernails are perpetually dirty;  not ideal for a food worker!  Though I keep them as short as possible (I cook at a local school).  Every day, whether at home before work or at the allotment after work, I've got my hands in the soil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment