30 May 2023

Crunch time again

Squashes, etc, May 2023
So many things to do!  It's nearly summer--and after a cold spring, the past week or so has actually felt like summer--and I need to get it all done.

The son and I have been sheet mulching and transplanting at the allotment;  the grass there is nearly waist high in places, thick and lush.  I've given up trying to dig it out, so sheet mulch is the way;  though the grass still manages to come back every year, at least it's knocked back long enough to grow other stuff.  It's mostly cardboard topped with used stable bedding, obtained from the on-site stables;  I have used my precious own-made compost in little pockets just for the transplants themselves.  

Nearly all the summer crops are in now, though I am still keeping up a succession of beets, lettuce and kohl rabi in trays for continuous planting out.  And I've just made a start on sowing seed for winter veg too (mainly brassicas), which will continue through early summer. 

Spring cabbages not quite ready, May 2023

 Other jobs include keeping the new transplants well watered until they are well established, and tying/supporting growth such as for beans and tomatoes.  Speaking of well established, my previous experiments with using waste wool as a planting medium seem to be working very well!  Every transplant growing in wool has simply kept growing, no transplant shock at all, compared to those not grown in wool.  The root balls even seem more robust, with thicker roots and more roots altogether.  

Let's keep going, at get it all done.  Maybe this will be the year for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment