17 May 2022

Planting out the kitchen garden

Staked tomato seedlings in a garden with espalier fruit trees behind
Tomatoes and rows marked for seeds, May 2022
These beds were last seen in April, having been cleared away by the chickens in their tractor;  I then had at them with a rake and hoe to get them ready for transplanting.
Short rows of kohl rabi seedlings in a garden with espalier fruit trees
Kohl rabi (and some cabbages) with cherry and apple trees, May 2022
Half of the beds are set aside for kohl rabi and cabbages--mainly kohl rabi.  These were planted somewhat close together but with enough space to (carefully) hoe between rows.  The cabbages I spaced further apart from each other and in rows, and sowed turnip seed in the gaps between plants.
Staked tomato seedlings in a garden with espalier fruit trees behind
View from the path to the lawn, May 2022
The other half is devoted to stuff that hasn't been too successful for me at the allotment, namely stuff that needs to be directly sown (not transplanted).  I put down a couple rows of carrot seed, some parsnips (though I've never been able to grow them, so not holding my breath), fennel and swede/rutabaga.  I also transplanted six tomatoes, with various annual herbs seeded between them.
Short rows of kohl rabi seedlings in a garden with espalier fruit trees
View from the chicken yard, May 2022
All the rows I direct seeded are plainly marked with string so I can easily hoe between rows, which I have been doing every few days.  I'm not hoeing between plants, as I want a few chard/mizuna/other self-seeded veg to still be able to come up too;  I'll hand weed and thin them out as necessary.  I promised myself I would mark the rows this year in order to keep on top of the weeds, unlike last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment