31 May 2022

Gardening on the cheap: reusing waste materials

 

Three plastic tubs, one with eggshells, one with a leek soaking in water
Eggshells, general compost, soaking vegetables, May 2022
I like to reuse materials I have or can get for free if I can, particularly in the garden and allotment.  Now we've paid our mortgage and have a bigger stash of disposible income, I'm willing to pay for one or two things we've held off on (like allotment fencing) but in the most part if I can get it for free, I will.

Plastic catering trays filled with seedlings on a patio table
Black and blue trays from my old workplace, originally holding mushrooms, May 2022
I have various trays and tubs from my work (I work in catering) which I use for different purposes, including starting seeds, collecting compost, washing vegetables and more.  I also collect free boxes for my continuous sheet mulching at the allotment:  start at the top and work my way down--by the time I get to the bottom it's time to do the top again...

At the allotment I have a stack of pallets in various states of repair , intended for making a structure--probably a large compost bin to replace the smaller black plastic ones (also free).  Some of them already contributed to our little tool shed and chicken coop there.  And the chicken tractor (not currently in use).  Pretty much everything we have at the allotment I got for free--not completely but almost.

Actually I'm trying to think of garden materials I own that I did actually buy.  Some of the tools I guess, and some chicken wire.  I'm not above taking things people leave on the street, including large boxes left out on recycling day.  Like I said, if I can get it for free I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment