24 May 2022

Planting out the allotment

If only I could get the chicken tractor at the allotment!  They tractored it a bit the first year we had it, but it was not a secure situation (we had several escapes) and there weren't enough chickens to really make a dent in the weeds/grass.  They've done wonders on their yard;  I've now fully dug it out (even excavating it a bit lower) and spread it around.  We need to be able to move their yard every year:  a very slow tractor.  The husband says maybe he'll do it this winter.  The chickens are now back there, clearing away the weeds that have started to grow in their yard.

I've been gradually shifting seedlings to the allotment from home where they started:  some trays began on my kitchen window, others outside on my patio table but regardless, they all began life in the relative sheltered environment of my home before being shipped off to the more rugged existence at the allotment.  

The first transplants were the onions and leeks, both of which seem to have survived mainly intact.  Thankfully these are not too attractive to pests, unlike most of my other veg.  Next up were the first batch of beets, then cherry tomatoes and regular tomatoes in planters and in the ground.  The slugs and bugs definitely took an interest in the tomato plants but they seem to be all right.  

The corn, squash and cucumbers however have not been as successful.  Out of a dozen cucumber plants, only one sad one is left, and I don't have much hope for it.  I've also replanted two (of eight) yellow crookneck squashes and have resown the remaining 20 corn seeds at home in a tray, as they've all disappeared--maybe mice?  It might be too late for them, but I'll replant at home despite being pretty much out of room.  I also planted the last three crooknecks here, in the hopes we'll get some if the rest succumb at the allotment:  slugs.

Finally, there are still about half a dozen green kuri squashes to transplant (two went in at home along with all the sparse French and runner beans) and that's it for the summer plants.  A little later on, when they've grown bigger, I'll transplant the winter brassicas.

No comments:

Post a Comment