08 March 2022

My morning walk

Since reducing my hours at work, I once more have a chance to walk up to the allotment during the week before setting off.  I used to walk up with the son before school (the allotment site is on the way to his old primary school).  He would do the chicken chores (feed/water, collect eggs) before walking on, while I stayed on to do the heavier digging and weeding.  He now attends high school: nowhere near our allotment.  

That leaves the daughter and I to walk up after he's left for school.  We've tried going at the same time as he goes, but have decided it's still a little cold for tiny hands and feet so wait until around 9 am instead.  We put on our hats, coats and boots and strap into the baby buggy--which is helpful for slinging a bag of garden tools onto--and off we go.

It's only about 10-12 minutes away when pushing a heavy toddler;  it's more like 8-10 when unencumbered.  However, a short walk in the morning does us both good:  fresh air, sun if we're lucky, blood pumping with the exercise.  I push the daughter until we are actually within the gates and then let her out to walk/run down the gravel track and up to our plot.  

These past two weeks (minus one or two windy/rainy days) I have been gradually digging out the excellent compost from the chicken yard, a couple wheelbarrows at a time (chickens are still locked up in their coop at home).  The daughter--almost 2--is happy to have a little wander around, stomp in puddles, or catch worms as I dig them up:  "Worm!" "No, worms need to stay there." "Worm!!" "Put it down gently...!" "Worm!!!" 

The compost has been spread around the raspberry patch and spring cabbages, both now pretty grassy;  I managed to remove some clumps from around the cabbages but it's really entrenched among the rasps.  The plan is to smother the grass with loads yummy compost which will soften up the surround soil enough to just pull it out.  Wishful thinking?

I only do a little at a time: partly as I don't want to exert myself too much before work, but also because the daughter gets bored/cold/wet fairly quickly.  When finished, we put our tools away, walk back up the track and load up into the buggy once more before walking home.  It's downhill all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment