01 March 2022

Getting a little more done

After wet and windy weather for our week off, the weekend was surprisingly calm and bright, and even warm enough to spend leisure time outdoors!  We had some friends over and sat out in the garden for an hour with our drinks.  I also finally put the clothesline to use, taking advantage of that cloudless sky and slight breeze;  I dried several loads of laundry, which always smells and feels so much nicer when dried outside.

However, I didn't actually manage to get to the allotment or even do any gardening over the weekend, except to harvest a bit of chard out back.  No matter, the daughter and I braved the rain yesterday before work/childcare started and sowed two large rows of peas which I'd pre-sprouted.  We got wet and muddy but at least the peas are down.  

I also started an old packet of cherry tomato seeds on my kitchen windowsill;  it was unopened (it was free) but several years old so I just chucked all the seeds down on a little tray in the hopes that some will germinate.  I don't think I have any other tomato seeds--I thought I had some I'd saved but couldn't find any.  It's not a big deal though;  I can probably get some free plants off a friend or fellow allotmenter, but I won't be disappointed if I don't.  It's not a good climate for tomatoes and I always grow them with fingers crossed;  the last few years I didn't get any tomato harvest worth speaking of.

Next up, it'll be time to pre-sprout some beets.  Sowing them direct has never been successful for me, so last summer I tried sowing them in trays and transplanting out;  I got some good beets this way but I would prefer to make less work for myself so will try sprouting some this time.  If it doesn't work, I'll do trays again--I like beets a lot and am willing to put in the effort if I have to.  

Now that it's March, I'm starting to think of all the jobs I need to get done.  Spring is just about here, and stuff needs to get going if vegetables are to be harvested this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment