15 March 2022

This week, March 2022

Our household has been busy this past week with two birthdays:  the son turned 12 and the daughter 2.  Despite all my responsibilities, family first of all, I still managed to get to the allotment nearly every morning for some more digging.  I estimate I'm about halfway in emptying all that good compost from the chicken yard;  it sits around 4-6 inches higher than the surrounding beds, so that's what I'm trying to take off the top.

Yesterday morning, after baking a cake, the daughter and I made a quick trip up there to drop off our full compost tub;  she asked if we could dig some worms, but I said we didn't have time, and we should just go look for them instead.  Didn't find any (the husband said they all hid when they heard her coming).  It was such a nice sunny morning I was expecting to see other people there, but we hardly ever do.  Other allotmenters must come in the afternoon.

I've got some cherry tomatoes sprouted up from that old seed packet, to my surprise.  Even though I prefer large tomatoes, cherries are more likely to ripen in this climate;  but I'd be happy to get any of any size.  I have a great recipe for green tomato salsa, so red or green is good by me.  Hopefully no blight this year (scuppered all plans for salsa last year).

I've also got some peas sprouting up at the allotment, though no sign of the broad beans--other than one dug up and partially eaten;  I fear that may have been the fate of all the others.  But my next batch of peas (snap peas this time) are sprouting and ready for sowing, along with some beetroot seeds.  Today or tomorrow I think.  Also need to get some more seeds started, of all shapes and sizes.  It's spring and I'm feeling the push.

No comments:

Post a Comment