22 March 2022

Spring equinox at last

It's felt like a long winter--maybe because I was working too much and getting up too early!  But finally it feels like spring with longer days and soon to be shorter nights.  The daffodils are in full swing, my almond tree is flowering and new plants are coming up at the allotment.

I haven't done a lot of work at home in the garden to be honest.  This past weekend I did some pruning of ornamental shrubs and trimmed down two bundles of pea sticks for (you guessed it) the allotment.  I've been harvesting either chard or cabbage greens most days here at home, and some new chive shoots too, and getting seed trays started both indoors and out.  But actual garden work?  Not a lot.

However I'm still digging out the chicken yard at the allotment most mornings.  I think I'm at about 3/4 now, and have been sheet mulching with it on the lower beds--trying to cover up the grass again.  I'll probably sow some seeds direct, and maybe transplant some seedlings a little later on.  I need to sheet mulch a bit at home too, where the creeping buttercup has taken over one of the beds in the veg patch;  I can't be bothered to make the effort of digging it out.

I haven't fully decided what to grow here at home this year.  Last year was roots, though the chard sort of took over.  Maybe I'll do roots again, after clearing away the chard.

No comments:

Post a Comment