22 February 2022

In the allotment, Feb 2022

This week the son, daughter and I have time off and already I've been to the allotment twice.  Just for quick visits:  it's been windy and rainy for a few weeks now, and not pleasant for working (especially with a toddler);  regardless, stuff has been done.

Yesterday we quickly dropped off kitchen scraps for the compost and transplanted a rooted year-old redcurrant cutting.  We have a sort of Perennials section at our allotment: a long strip at one edge that comprises the raspberry patch, a couple of rhubarbs and the newly moved gooseberry.  It now also contains my yellow (autumn-fruiting) raspberry bush too, transplanted today.  (Maybe I should move the artichokes there too.)

Today I sowed around 60 pre-sprouted broad beans in two rows and the son picked a good portion of Brussels sprouts for our dinner.  We've picked pretty much all of the big ones now, so are working through the smaller ones;  I think there are only one or two meals left to harvest.

I have a good sized sack of peas soaking too, some of which have begun to sprout so they will be sown hopefully before the week is over;  if not, I'll have time to go up with the daughter before work/childcare as my reduced hours start next week.  And I plan to empty and relocate the large planters from my patio;  I'll refill them with fresh compost and probably put in some more strawberry plants.  Along with this, I'll transplant a rooted fig cutting I took last year.

There's plenty to do, and if I want to have a productive harvest I'd better get things done.

No comments:

Post a Comment