01 February 2022

Cuttings

Every year around this time I go out and have a good prune of my soft fruit bushes, as well as some other things (because I usually get a little carried away and keep seeing more things to chop).  This weekend I lightly pruned my blackcurrants and redcurrant to allow for easier harvest and room to maneuver.  I took about ten 12-inch tips from the redcurrant and stuck them in the ground in a sheltered bed near the house, in hopes they'll root;  this is also a yearly task.

Last year's redcurrant cuttings almost all disappeared, though they initially seemed promising in spring:  there is only one remaining which I will transplant to the allotment.  In previous years I've had no success, but also good success (I gave away about six once);  one recipient of cuttings got a lovely big harvest of redcurrants last summer and gave me some to add to my redcurrant wine.  

I basically take the freshly cut sticks, poke them into holes in the ground, and try to remember to water them once in a while.  I leave them in place until it's time to take the next lot of cuttings, a year later.  Couldn't be simpler!  Actually now that I think of it, I want to take some gooseberry cuttings as well.  I wonder if my yellow raspberry would root too?  Better get on it, before the leaves start to emerge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment