25 January 2022

Flock talk

Time to talk about the Future of the Flock!

While reflecting on 2021 in last week's post, I noted that egg totals were down in 2021;  these were the lowest I've ever recorded, despite having an average sized (for us) flock of hens and ducks:  between 10 and 12 birds over the course of the year.  As I write this, we are overseeing a laying flock of 9:  six hens and three ducks (plus one drake bringing total birds to 10).  

They have not yet begun laying again after stopping in early November;  this is mainly due to the fact they are locked up in their coop because of bird flu regulations:  light levels are low enough without them being inside all day too.  Well, they do have a very small "porch" I put around their little doorway so they can step outside for a breath of fresh air;  it's a wire fireplace guard and is big enough for them all to be in (albeit very crowded).  Usually one will just sit in the entryway though--and no one else can get in or out.  However, I have seen them all out at various times, so no one is constantly stuck inside at least.  Not a good situation, but the best we can do considering the circumstances.  It doesn't block our people-sized door so the son can easily get in and out to feed and water.

But on to the future.  Restrictions will lift eventually:  probably around March.  I expect the chickens will be able to go back to the allotment, and I am planning on getting some fencing around the entire plot so the ducks can too.  Since getting ducks, they have lived in our garden either locked up with chickens because of bird flu restrictions, confined to their own large yard (the Perennials sections), or free ranging.  Overall, they free range most of the time and have done such good work on the slugs and bugs I would like them to do their magic at the allotment too.  I would not be confident to let the chickens free range at the allotment unless supervised, but with a waist-high fence the ducks would be suitably confined.

As far as numbers go, in the past the husband and I had discussed getting a few more rescue hens once our flock dropped down to six or fewer, but I think we'll probably let it drop down to four before we consider again.  Having eight hens seems like the best amount for us and I'd rather introduce four newbies to a flock of four, rather than two to a flock of six.  So no new hens immediately (no new hens allowed until the restrictions lift anyway).

And ducks?  Well, crispy duck was such a success I would like to attempt it again, if the stars align.  That is, if the ducks begin laying and our broody hen goes broody accordingly.  I don't know how long our rescue ducks will live but I wouldn't mind having a couple young replacements and any bonus males to eat.  Our little hen can only manage four duck eggs at once anyway, so we wouldn't be going overboard on the numbers there either.  We'll see.  I think around six ducks in total (five females along with our one male) is probably the maximum our garden can take without being overwhelmed in duck poo.

No comments:

Post a Comment