26 April 2022

Chicken tractoring and new transplants

A weeded garden bed next to a fence
Ready for planting (only a little weedy), April 2022
My six chickens have been hard at work clearing the garden beds for me over this past month.  Some sections have been thick with weeds, but mostly it's been carpeted with chard--so much chard!  They loved clearing both away for me, and I've gone over one of the beds with a rake, hoe and hand trowel, trying to get out as many roots as possible in order to start transplanting.

A DIY chicken tractor
Made from pallets, wire and bubble wrap, April 2022
After careful consideration I decided to grow mainly brassicas here at home, and save everything else for the allotment.  Probably the winter brassicas (such as Brussels sprouts and purple sprouting broc) will end up at the allotment, but the summer and autumn crops will stay home where I can keep an eye on them for caterpillars.

To that end, I've transplanted out about 50 kohl rabi seedlings into that first bed, with another 30ish waiting for the next bed;  I've also got a tray of about 30 cabbages ready to go too.  And maybe next month I'll try direct sowing some swede/rutabaga in the hopes they'll come up (not had any success with them before).  Because the chickens have tractored the beds for me (and are currently undertaking a second pass) the slug numbers should be reduced, giving me a better chance for direct sowing--unlike at the allotment, sadly.

A variety of seed trays
Kohl rabi in front, April 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment