13 July 2021

Weedy, July 2021

A lush, weedy garden bed
Should be veggies, but is mostly weeds, July 2021

Not only is my allotment a weedy haven, even my own vegetable garden at home is a bit overwhelmed.  The main difference between the two is the type of weeds.  At the allotment it's those difficult biennial and perennial weeds like grass, nettles and dock (among others).  At home it's the softer annual and biennial weeds, many of which are actually self seeded vegetables and flowers:  chard, poppies and celery to name a few.  But they have the same thing in common:  they are growing instead of the vegetables I planted/sowed.

A small kohl rabi plant growing among weeds
At least something I sowed is growing! Kohl rabi, July 2021
 

I have a plan for both places, though I'm not in a position to implement it just yet.  However, here it is.  

For the allotment:

I will be sheet mulching all beds as they become vacant.  This means putting down cardboard and paper and topping with a thick layer of straw and manure from the onsite stables.  Even if I don't plan on replanting straight away, I will be sheet mulching.  I just finished harvesting the last sugar snap peas and gave that bed the sheet mulch treatment;  soon the broad beans will get it too.  When planting, whether this year or in spring, all beds will stay heavily mulched to keep the weeds from germinating again.

For the vegetable garden:

At the end of the season, chickens and/or ducks will be allowed to tidy up for an extended period.  When replanting in the spring, rows will be spaced further apart and a regime of hoeing will be introduced (unfortunately it's too late for effective hoeing this season).  For the present, hand weeding will continue as time permits.

No comments:

Post a Comment