28 June 2019

Flowers out front and back

A vase of flowers on a windowsill with a small patch of flower garden outside
The front garden, June 2019
My front garden is currently all ornamentals, with nothing edible.  Unless you count the roses (we don't eat them).  There was a small crabapple tree which has now died--despite being there about four years, it never flowered (or even grew taller than me) and last summer's heat and drought finally killed it. 

It has a lot of weeds too...the son and I pulled up a few buckets full of goosegrass earlier this spring, and now the brambles are staking their claim.  I guess they both count as edible...we do eat a few blackberries from the front garden now and again in summer (though I do my best to pull them out every year too).

It's nice to pick some flowers for the house though.  I have flowers out back too, mostly in the perennials section, but a few self seeded in the veg beds;  there's a dozen sunfowers coming up just beyond the boundary of the chicken yard which I'm very pleased about.  And some random foxgloves which surprised me--we had some years ago, then didn't have any for ages and now we've got them again.  It's all good food for bees, and good food for the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment