25 June 2019

Two kinds of artichokes

Close up of an artichoke head growing
New season artichokes, June 2019
My artichokes are massive this year--even bigger than last year, both height and width.  The divisions the husband replanted for me earlier this year are also growing strongly, though they'll need another year to catch up.  But the heads are still tiny.  I'm sure they variety I bought was supposed to be a regular globe artichoke, and I'm sure they're meant to be bigger than golf ball size.  Oh well.   
Young Jerusalem artichoke plants growing
Newly growing Jerusalem artichokes (and lots of weeds) June 2019
I took home some Jerusalem artichokes from the communal waste at the allotment last autumn and replanted them at the back of the perennials section;  they're now growing tall and I look forward to trying them at the end of the season.  I understand this is a plant that's hard to get rid of, so I hope we like them;  I've eaten them before, but the husband and son haven't.

No comments:

Post a Comment