14 June 2019

Now eating peas

Snap peas soon, June 2019
We've had our first peas, picked at the allotment:  the yellow mange tout peas (not pictured) are just podding up, and we've snacked on them happily.  So crispy.  I only had about 20 seeds of these, all saved from the previous year's plants;  this just isn't enough!  While I'd love to save seed again, I don't know if we'll have the willpower to let enough pods mature!  I might have to order a new pack of seeds for next spring.  They've also been good cooked with Sunday roast dinner and raw on a salad.

The rest of the peas are all flowering and making pods too, both at the allotment and back here at home.  At home they're all snap peas and mange tout, and we're just eating the mange tout;  at the allotment, except for those 20 mange tout, all are regular peas which I plan to dry for winter.  I actually am hoping to get enough peas to double my plants next year;  this spring I put down about 500 seeds, but I would love to have 1000 next spring--plus enough for mushy peas and pea soup all winter, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment