12 February 2019

Spring cabbages, growing on

Some small cabbages growing inside a cold frame
View from the top (of the cold frame), Feb 2019
After some cold winds and sharp frosts, not to mention some errant chickens, the spring cabbages are looking pretty small and forlorn.  I planted them fairly close together out in the main garden, as the seed packet suggested ("cut every other one for greens and let the rest heart up").  Last winter they were in much the same state and I was very surprised they produced for me. 

I have six much healthier specimens in my cold frame, slightly more sheltered from the elements (and chickens).  They are still small too, but certainly bigger and I look forward to a earlier harvest of these.

There are a couple heads of regrowth too, from last year's harvest.  I'm surprised they're still around, let alone so big and luxurious.  I cut them last spring but left the long stem in situ (most of them were pulled up, but I cut the last few like this);  I wonder if I treat them the same way if they'll do it again for me?  It's a much easier way of getting cabbage than sowing seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment