15 February 2019

Currant cuttings

Close up of several blackcurrant stems beginning to bud
Blackcurrant, Feb 2019
I managed to prune and take cuttings from my currants:  six each from red and black, and one from white (the youngest/smallest).  I actually have four blackcurrant bushes altogether, and one each of red and white;  the redcurrant is pretty big and prolific enough for two though!  Still, if I get new plants from these--and I don't manage to give them away--I have wine making on the agenda:  it might be possible to have too many redcurrants, but too much redcurrant wine?  Surely not.

I took cuttings last year too, all of which failed in the hot dry summer;  up until then they all seemed to have rooted and were growing away.  I put this year's cuttings in a semi-shaded bed next to my patio, within easy watering reach.  Hopefully I can keep them alive if they weather doesn't cooperate.

No comments:

Post a Comment