31 October 2023

Winter stores

Looking at my winter stores, I've had varying degrees of success this year.  Did I grow enough?  Probably not to keep us alive, but certainly enough to keep us in vegetables.

I tell you what, after all those jar woes and the endless-seeming supply of cucumbers, I'm not totally convinced I grew enough.  This seems crazy, given that at the time I could barely keep up with them, and almost every single one went into a pickle jar.  But I wish I had more.  I feel happy with the amount of green tomato pickles however.

Dried veg:  several jars of zucchini and cabbage leaves, a small amount of kohl rabi.  Several dozen Glass Gem corn ears (I tried it unsuccessfully as popcorn, but had better success processing into masa for tortillas).  Lots of garlic--not dried, though in the dry storage section of my pantry.

In the freezer I have pureed squash--as mentioned in my last post--and several bags of various berries, some picked locally/wild and some from the garden/allotment.

Food still in the ground: a few fennel bulbs--these have been surprisingly tender and mild.  A few big black radishes, slightly more parsnips and carrots (though I can't confirm how large they are, unlike the radishes).  Some beets, leeks and a couple cabbages and pak choi.

And it appears squash will be on the menu until further notice.  I made that pumpkin pie--it didn't last long: yum.  Pumpkin pie is very special to me: partly because of childhood memories, and also partly because it's such a lot of work to start from a whole pumpkin/squash.  Of course it's worth it and that big squash made a beautifully dense, dark orange pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment