10 October 2023

Working while it's still warm

While the lack of light and angle of the sun both feel autumnal, we are having a bit of unexpected warmth this week.  I even harvested a couple of late figs, which I'd thought were long past.  Both sweet and juicy;  one was so ripe it was almost jam.

My autumn sowing and planting are finished in the main;  only some cauliflower seedlings remain in pots for possible planting out later this month.  And then again, maybe not--I've overwintered them in the ground and in pots, and either way was successful.  

Both at home and at the allotment I still have some veg in the ground, to be harvested when needed.  The son picked the biggest squash (as far as we could judge--it was a tough call) at the allotment this weekend, and so it starts.  We tried to weigh it on our small kitchen scale but we got up to 6 lb and ran out of weights;  we guessed it is probably in the vicinity of 10 lb.  It's out on the patio for a few days to cure;  it will be the start of our October window display--and for eating later on in winter.  We would have picked a few more, but we'd walked there and couldn't carry them;  the son kept threatening to drop it, it was so heavy.

Normally October's weather isn't pleasant for gardening, and I usually begin my slow descent about now.  I'm glad of a little extra outdoors time before winter however, and though I don't plan on doing too much, I'll enjoy it while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment