17 October 2023

Squashes and squashes

A boy smiling behind many squashes of different sizes and colors
The son, after we'd picked all 20, October 2023
So many squashes, temporarily taking up half my dining room floor.  We were forecast frost over the weekend, so the son and I got them all home from the allotment.  And the two from the kitchen garden too.  All of these grew from the seeds of one squash, except for the long butternut squash.  I'll be saving seed again, but from which one?  Flavor and size I think will be my indicator.

We picked a couple of immature but still good sized ones too;  one has been eaten already, though it took us two days to get through it.  It tasted like a zucchini, not yet sweet like a squash.  I liked it though--we had it roasted with lamb, and then the next day in a moussaka. 

Speaking of butternuts, other people at the allotment have grown them, and I was even proudly shown some, but I can safely say mine is the biggest.  Though only you and I know, as I'm not one to show off

No comments:

Post a Comment