12 January 2021

Gardening goals 2020 revisited

 1 Year Goals (by 1 Jan 2021)

  • Extend vegetable self sufficiency by 1 month (7 months total) This goal is canceled for 2020
  • Set up a chicken coop at the allotment
5 Year Goals (by 1 Jan 2026)
  • Fully self sufficient in vegetables and seasonal fruit
  • Greenhouse erected 

Other than that, I'll try to get a few other projects done in 2020, but won't put them on the official list:

  • Revamp the pond to be prettier and easier to drain/refill (now that our ducks have made it disgusting)
  • Set up a rotating firewood store and split all remaining sycamore branches
  • Preserve some garden food every month during the Vegetable Challenge

I wrote the above goals back in January 2020, back when life was simpler and no one in our little household had any ideas of any troubles ahead--I simply reduced the amount of goals because I was pregnant and unable to exert myself much.  While I did know Brexit was looming (and has now happened), little did I know there would be an ongoing worldwide pandemic.  

So.  I struck off the first goal!  We got the chickens up at the allotment full time in secure housing this summer.  They are currently not there, being subject to an enclosure order due to an avian flu outbreak:  they're at home in their old yard here.  Goal accomplished nonetheless.

The five year goals are still on unfulfilled.  I think we were close to self sufficiency in seasonal fruit with a lot of it still preserved, whether dried, frozen or bottled.

The unofficial goals--well, at least they were unofficial, because I didn't do them either.  The pond is prettier--as in less ugly.  It's not pretty, and while it's certainly easier to drain, it's a lot harder to fill:  it doesn't really hold water at the moment.  The ducks aren't actually on it--they're stuck with the chickens under cover--so at least it's not disgusting either.


Goals for 2021?  Probably going to cancel them before I even start.

No comments:

Post a Comment