19 January 2021

Food security and the garden, 2021

Food security is an important topic for me.  I have mentioned before that I have tried to build up a supply of food storage over many years;  much of this is storebought food in jars and tins.  However, I added to it over 2020 with more preserved garden food than ever before.  I hope to continue in 2021, by planting extras specifically for preserving (this was the plan for 2020, but life got in the way).

I have three cupboard shelves in my kitchen dedicated to dried and bottled garden foods; there's a couple of big jars of sauerkraut in the fridge; plus some garlic, squash and pumpkin in the dry store.  There are bags of berries in the freezer as well as applesauce and pumpkin puree.  There are bottles of cider and hedgerow wine, and two new demijohns of it bubbling away still.  If it was all we had to eat it would last us maybe a few weeks, but added to meals it should last us till May or June--the end of the hungry gap.

This year in particular I want plenty of extra runner beans and French beans both frozen and dried.  Dried peas.  Stacks of onions, garlic, squashes and pumpkins.  Dried and bottled fruits: cherries, plums, figs, apples.  Frozen berries.  Plum cider, apple cider.  Lots of root veg:  I had almost no root veg in 2020 and I definitely need to change this.  Pickled zucchini, dried zucchini: lots of it.  Dried everything, really.  Cabbages for sauerkraut, for freezing, for drying (this is one thing I managed last year).  Tomatoes for salsa, either green or red.

I have space at the allotment to make this happen, provided the slugs don't overwhelm me.  I'll be filling up the beds at home too;  this is the year to start producing some real calories and get them into my pantry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment