03 August 2020

Calorie dense veg (I wish I had some)





Kale and broccoli for dinner, July 2020
While I'm not officially doing the Vegetable Challenge this year, I'm still trying to serve garden veg daily for dinner.  However, this has meant a lot of chard and kale recently.  Not that I'm complaining:  we like them both!  But I'm kind of missing those roots, zuccinis, beans and other calorie dense vegetables. 

The only roots we have are potatoes and a few onions--we're having potatoes once a week but the onions won't be ready till autumn I think.  I didn't bother sowing any root veg seeds at home, but I think I should have--normally I don't get much success from direct seeding because of slugs and bugs, but it appears that the slug population is much reduced this year:  possibly because the ducks had several weeks on the veg patch over winter.  I'll know for next spring--too late now.

As for zuccinis, yes I have a couple plants, and no they aren't doing much.  As usual.  I don't understand how everyone seems to drown in zuccini when I can barely keep my plants alive.  I doubt we'll be getting any of our own--hopefully people at the allotments are having better success, and will give me some of theirs.

Beans:  the first batch of plants at the allotment are all gone except one single vine, which is very small and sad.  The second batch, in a different place, is now starting to flower.  The beans at home have been flowering longer and have set a few beans, but none are big enough to eat yet.  I don't know why these ones are so late--I got them planted out mid-May and it's August now.  Hopefully hopefully hopefully we'll start eating them by the end of the week.  Hopefully.
Runner beans at home, July 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment