28 July 2020

Summer weeding

I'm getting a little bit more gardening done now that my iron levels are creeping up;  and the daughter is four months old now and can watch me from her stroller or laid on a blanket on the grass.  Or sometimes she's even asleep upstairs (not reliably yet though).  Thankfully there's no heavy tasks to be done this time of year;  it's mainly harvesting, watering pots and planters, and a little light weeding.

Actually the allotment could do with some heavier weeding, which I have been accomplishing a little at a time.  Since we now have chickens there, we visit both morning and evening--mine is usually the morning slot, along with the son and daughter.  I've been spending 10 minutes or so every morning digging up clumps of grass and weeds and chucking them over the fence into the chicken yard;  the chickens are very happy for some greenstuff, now they've scratched up all their own.  I make sure there's plenty for everyone (seven currently), and it's usually all eaten by the time I visit next morning.  The son and husband are gradually mulching the bare spots too, to prevent more weeds germinating.

At home, weeding is a lot easier:  the soil is much more enriched and soft and most weeds simply pull out without the need for digging.  I pull them out and then lay them down on the soil to break down. 

I'm not too worried about weeds at home seeing as they are so easy to get rid of, but the allotment has a lot of grass;  it seems like the vegetables surrounded by grass are a lot smaller and weaker.  The cabbages at home are at least twice as big as those at the allotment:  same batch, planted at the same time.  Now that I have a bit more motivation to get it dug up (chickens are hungry!), maybe I can keep on top of it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment