27 September 2019

Artichokes in flower

A bee approaching an artichoke flower
Lucky shot, September 2019
No doubt I missed out on the last fifteen or so artichokes left on the plants, but my loss was the bees' gain:  they have loved the fluffy purple flowers.  

We think we might take several divisions off the original plants and move them to the allotment early next spring.  I understand the plants only produce for about five years before they decline, but taking divisions is one way to keep up a supply of "new" plants.  This summer, the third year, was the first time we got a worthwhile harvest, and the plants have grown about 2.5 m tall (maybe even closer to 3 m)--and the artichokes are right at the top!  Taking up that much space, they really would do better at the allotment.

In a few years when the original plants finish here in my Perennials section, I'll dig them out for good;  if we continue to enjoy the artichokes at the allotment, I'll divide my newest plants from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment