20 September 2019

Plums 2019

Close up of plums growing on a tree
Czar plums, Sep 2019
We've picked over a hundred plums from our tree by now.  Some have been dehydrated, though a good proportion have been given away too.  The first flush of them were mostly full of worms, but these latest ones aren't, luckily.  The chickens and chicks had the wormy ones, and are still enjoying any bird-damaged.  The husband got up the ladder the other day to pick the highest ones, and there are probably about 60-80 left on the tree;  I'll be dehydrating and/or gifting them, and eating some too.  The house smells of plum jam as they dry.

To be honest, I don't mind the worms that much!  If I were at full capacity (which I'm not yet), I might have been willing to bottle those wormy plums, sans wormy bits of course, or make jam as I did last year (yum).  I'm even willing to cut the wormy bits out and eat the rest, but for now, the most I can manage is halving and pitting them, and placing them on dehydrator trays.

No comments:

Post a Comment