24 September 2019

Cherry tomato salsa fresca

A selection of freshly harvested summer vegetables
Not all of this went into the salsa, Sep 2019
I'm getting my batches of salsa fresca done, but I've been eating them too...I've got about 1.5 L currently, but the overall total is maybe 2.5 L so far:  it's just so tasty.  I love it on my scrambled eggs along with some melted cheese. 

To make a batch I chop up:
  • 1 kg tomatoes (mainly cherry toms)
  • 0.25 kg spring onions
  • several cloves of garlic
  • one chili pepper
  • a handful of cilantro leaf
This goes in a brine of 1.5 Tb salt per 500 mL water, and is fermented about 4-5 days on the counter before being refrigerated--or eaten.  I like it a lot spicier than just the one chili (and my own ones aren't very spicy to begin with), but the son can't quite handle it, so I add chili paste to taste after serving--I made the paste last with last year's chilis.
Green chili peppers growing in a pot
A pot of chilis, Sep 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment