23 August 2019

Only a few tomatoes

Close up of a ripe tomato and lobelia flowers
Cherry tomatoes at last, August 2019
Last summer was excellent for tomatoes here.  This one is cooler and rainy: more like a typical English summer--but still my tomatoes are ripening, or at least the ones on my patio are. 

I have about six plants out in the further reaches of my vegetable beds, but they don't look very promising;  I'm not sure I'll even get worthwhile green fruits from them.  And to be honest, the four or so regular tomato plants on my patio all have fruit but none much bigger than the cherry tomatoes.  These, like the cherry tomatoes, are now ripening one or two at a time.  I don't think I'll be making salsa this year, green or red.  If I get enough fruits to fill two trays of my (small) dehydrator I'll dry some, but even that looks unlikely.

It's a bit disappointing, but I can't complain too much:  this is not a tomato growing climate, and to get enough for salads two months of the year is good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment