20 August 2019

Figs, 2019

Close up of figs on a branch
One at a time, Aug 2019
I do love my little fig tree.  I got it as a cutting;  I think I bought it off ebay.  For the first year it lived in a pot on the patio, then the husband dug a big hole in the most choice location (right next to the house and patio, facing south), lined the sides of the hole with concrete pavers and the bottom with bricks and rubble, then planted it. 

For several years it's been growing well, though slowly.  I got the first fig harvest in 2015, though I had to share it with nibblers (I told the husband at the time it was probably birds, but I think it was actually rats--we washed them off and ate them anyway).  It's only been a few figs a year since then--last year was the first time the harvest made double figures.  We haven't got to double figures yet this year, but I'm hopeful!

Though there are a lot of figs on the tree, about half of them are too small to ripen fully I think.  I'm looking forward to having too many to eat: maybe next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment