22 March 2019

Homegrown basketry

A hand woven basket
100% garden produce, Mar 2019
Another basket, produced from garden materials.  I currently have made four very lopsided willow baskets, one shallow and flimsy yucca basket, and one (slightly less lopsided) willow and yucca basket.  Of all of them, I like this newest addition the best, though only time will tell how it will perform.  I'm only a novice basket-maker still.

As the yucca is a lot softer than the willow used in the other baskets, this one is not intended for robust usage.  However, I tried to get the weave as tight as possible, and I'm happy with its performance as an egg basket so far, despite the fact that it cannot sit up straight.  Still, I like this style;  I think it was easier to make and the materials were definitely easier to collect:  I only get one harvest of willow per year, but the yucca is constantly shedding leaves.  I would defintely like to improve my technique with this style, and make more.

No comments:

Post a Comment