01 March 2019

Buds and blossoms

A pink blossoming almond tree growing between a shed and a garage
The neighbor's house and shed, our garage, Mar 2019
Just a few days ago, the almond tree decided to burst into bloom.  I've been out in the afternoons with my pollinating tool--a feather tied to the end of a long stick--just in case the bees are still asleep.  We've had some sunny spells, so hopefully they've been doing their bit too, as the tree is getting too big for full hand-pollination.  I tied down some of the branches last year, and have recently tied another lot down:  trying to keep them within my reach.  They are all within reach of my pollinating tool, but there's so many blossoms!

The plum tree is showing white buds now, as is the tiny Kumoi pear.  I can see them swelling on the two cherry trees and on the two peach/nectarine trees too.  The younger (I really hope this one is actually a) peach is forming them for the first time this year;  this will be the nectarine's second year--maybe it'll perform better this time.
Close up of a daffodil
On the other side of the garage, Mar 2019
In non-edibles, the daffodils haven't reached full glory yet, but the gorse certainly has.  I like to have flowers in my garden to tempt the pollinators, even when food pollination isn't needed;  I like to think they'll stick around if there's always something for them.  And I have seen a honeybee or two this past week, during sunny spells.  I try to tell them about the almond tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment