19 March 2019

Collecting rainwater

I wrote about my strategies for conserving water last year (part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4).  The first strategy, probably the easiest, was the only one I wasn't actually doing--until now:  it's time to introduce my new water butts!

I asked for a water butt for my birthday this winter, and that's exactly what I got.  It's been hanging out on the patio for a little while until last week when the husband finally got himself a new drill--the old one died several months ago and quite a few jobs have been on the back burner waiting for a replacement.  However, the water butt is not longer taking up space in the middle of the patio--he took an hour to fit the diverter into the downspout leading from our roof, and the butt has been gradually filling up since.  We've even used some rainwater to refill chicken drinking containers.

And I now have a second butt, bought at the local discount grocery store.  I saw it advertised in their weekly flyer and we went early on the first day and snapped (the only) one up;  I was anticipating them going on sale, as I remember seeing them last spring and umming and ahhing then (after kicking myself, I made a promise to get one if they ever stocked them again).  And if they have another one next time we go shopping, I'll get that one too.  I could probably get about six or more all in a row, feeding one another from that downspout.  I would even like to have a couple collecting from the garage and one from the chicken house (need to put up gutters on both first)!  And even if we have a sodden summer this year instead of a drought I know I still won't regret having them.

No comments:

Post a Comment