30 October 2018

Turning colder

One red pepper and several green growing on a plant
One at a time, Oct 2018
I don't know if my remaining peppers will now turn red, considering the change in the weather.  Though I've been wearing my jacket in the mornings on the way to the allotment this past month, I've only needed a cardigan when walking the son home from school in the afternoons.  Just over the past few days daytime temps have dropped by about 8-10 Celsius:  definitely cardigan + jacket (+ hat + scarf + gloves)...

Though the Misc bed had mostly stopped producing by the start of October, I still haven't cleared away the old plants.  The pepper plants are all in containers on the patio next to the house--more sheltered than the rest of those summer Misc veg like squash and sweetcorn.  I know it's time to tidy, but I want to stay in out of the cold!  Unfortunately I put all the pepper plants into my largest containers which can't really come inside to finish ripening in the warmth--though the larger containers undoubtedly contributed to bigger plants and more fruit.

I've frozen a few ripe peppers--for making salsa soon--and have started a little jar of salted/fermented hot sauce on my countertop;  I'll probably mince the remaining green ones into the same jar;  what little I have is tasty and not quite as hot as the fresh pepper:  though the husband prefers hot hot hot, it's plenty hot for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment