23 October 2018

An unexpected fruit

Back in spring, I sowed several melon seeds, saved from a supermarket specimen the year before.  One managed to grow enough to be planted out in a container on my patio.  There it grew--slowly--gently trained up a stick I'd put in to support it.  I nipped off the growing tip once it reached the top of the stick (approximately as tall as me). 
Close up of a tiny melon growing on a vine
Here it is, Sep 2018
It proceeded to flower in late summer (very small flowers), and a few fruits formed--only to fall off.  Just one fruit stayed, and this one formed maybe late August.  By mid-September, the vine was wilting, much like the cucumber plants did.  That one fruit however, only the size of a lemon, still remained.

A week ago we had strong winds.  After three days, it calmed down and I realized the melon had fallen off its vine.  It had slug damage and a bit of mold on part of it.  But looking closely past the slug bites, I could see the inside was green and shiny--it looked ripe!

I cut off the damaged part;  I salvaged two tiny seeds to try next year.  The husband, son and I shared the fruit:  it was perfectly sweet and juicy.  I actually grew a melon!
A very small melon, sliced on a countertop
About four bites, Oct 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment