04 July 2023

At the allotment, July 2023

A tangle of new garlic, June 2023
The husband was in charge of digging up the garlic harvest at the allotment last month;  I spread it on a wicker panel on the patio to cure for a few weeks, then into a couple of large plastic trays in the garage to finish off (it kept getting rained on).  Last year I tied my garlic into bundles by their long stems and hung them from the garage rafters, but I might go back to my old way of storing them:  trimmed of their stems, in a kitchen cupboard.  The last of the hanging bulbs went moldy before we used them--if I look at them more often I can hopefully discover any problems earlier.

The daughter (aged 3) helped me pick all the broad beans, and even helped me shell them.  Although the bed was very weedy they were still productive;  most of the seeds sprouted into several stems, each bearing several pods.  Some pods were massive with up to 8 beans;  most were a more modest 4-6.  The son is helping me gradually sheet mulch over this bed.

A regular producer, we have been picking 6-8 artichokes most days.  Rather than picking a big batch all at once, I'm finding the small but steady approach more manageable.  They are kind of time consuming to process: I cook them whole for several hours in the slow cooker, then once cooled I'll peel the outer petals and choke to reveal the heart.  For such a huge plant--they're all about 2 m tall--the resulting harvest is pretty puny:  those 6-8 hearts typically weigh in at around 1.5 oz.  Not each mind you, but total.  Is it worth the space and effort?  For now, I suppose so;  they're a perennial and therefore free.

Another perennial producer is the raspberries;  last year they overwhelmed us.  This year they are fewer though bigger (pretty small last year).  Actually it feels like a good amount this year:  not too many, not too few.  I made a batch of wine with them last year which has turned out very sour;  however I also made a batch of too-sweet redcurrant wine.  Half and half in a glass with ice they are a perfect match.

The chickens and ducks (4 and 2 each) are also in residence, probably for the rest of the summer, though none is very happy with the arrangement.  However, we're getting 1-2 eggs a day, both chicken and duck.  I try to give them something green and fresh every day when I visit, which is all too easy to procure in our still weedy allotment;  I wish I could let them free range a bit, but we still have no fencing.  It's on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment