25 July 2023

Planting for winter

After a hot dry start, summer has become cool and rainy--somewhat typical for this part of the world (in my 19 years experience).  I usually try and plant for both hot/dry and cool/wet conditions, so maybe not all of my plants will flourish, but at least I should have some success.

Sowing for winter, July 2023
As it stands, I'm still doing some last minute sowings for autumn and winter.  I've been doing about a 3 weekly rotation for kohl rabi and beets, although I think I might be coming to the end of that at last.  I've been harvesting the first of them for a few weeks now, but grown in good composted manure (helped along by the extra rain), they do seem to bulb up fairly quickly.

In the kitchen garden I've been clearing away the spring cabbage bed, none of which managed a very tight head sadly (regardless, these are the current occupants in my dehydrator).  One by one they are making space for the next plants:  fennel and daikon radishes.  Technically I probably shouldn't sow radish after cabbage--both brassicas--but I'll risk it this once, having no other space for them.

I have a couple more cabbages and some pak choy seedlings needing to plant out--I'll risk the cabbages at the allotment but the pak choy will have to squeeze in at home (somewhere!) as it's known slug candy.  I also have a new sowing of spring onions in pots: these will probably make it up to the allotment too--and I'll have time to make at least one more sowing.  I'll keep the pots of parsley at home though, for easier picking.

No comments:

Post a Comment