27 June 2023

I've been waiting two years for...

The first of many (I hope!) June 2023
Last year I got no zucchinis whatsoever.  The slugs at the allotment ate all my baby plants soon after transplant, and the single one left was crammed into an unfavorable position at home at the last minute and ended up not produced anything.

Somehow I neglected to buy new seed;  at sowing time this year late April), I sowed every single seed from a collection of varieties dated 2018.  I oversowed by a long shot, but wasn't sure any of them would sprout!  Luckily I got about 10 plants--and I have since bought a new packet of seed in a £1 sale, for next year.

All but two of the plants are growing at home in the kitchen garden, as I wanted to play it safe:  no problem with slugs here (thank you ducks).  The two at the allotment seem to have managed to survive the slugs, but it's unclear whether they'll produce just yet;  neither have formed any flowers.

But at home, in a bed newly enriched with partly composted chicken manure, the zucs are happening--after two years without I'm a little excited!  Several days ago I picked the first yellow one pictured above.  It had grown to a nice size and was delicious raw;  I marinated it (and some lightly blanched broad beans from the allotment) in a vinaigrette and we ate it on some lettuce (also from the garden).  

The I picked the first green one yesterday which went into a delightful minestrone soup alongside a garden cabbage, new garlic and fresh herbs;  we ate it with another salad, this time with marinated artichoke hearts (from the allotment).

Why so worked up?  I know zucchini has a reputation, but it's always been coy with me.  I envy the stories of people unable to give away their overabundance--this has never been my personal experience.  Maybe later this summer I'll be complaining about overflowing zucs (I can dream).

No comments:

Post a Comment