29 March 2021

General update, March 2021

Photos?  Who needs photos!  It's been so long since I took a photo that I'm just completely out of the habit of it.  I don't use a smart phone so I take pictures on an old digital camera.  When I take pictures, that is.  The husband sometimes sends me photos he's taken, but unfortunately they're rarely of the garden or allotment.  

But anyway, back to the subject at hand.  Tomorrow (31 March) poultry all over the country are allowed out of confinement again.  At last!  Our chickens will be making their way back to the allotment, while our ducks will have their usual free range on the non-veg portion of our small property.  We'll have to sort out their pond (again). 

Our family all has this and next week off work and school and we are doing some work around the place.  Seed sowing, weeding and hoeing, pruning, planting.  And some other non garden jobs around the house.  We have a long list of things to get done, and gardening is right at the top of the list.  Time to get stuff done.

This month I've direct sown some root veg seeds, and sown several trays of brassicas and salad greens.  I've also got a few sowings of snap peas and broad beans up at the allotment (the first broad beans are now poking up) and a couple of trays each of leeks and onions just about to transplant out.  I've also been spreading some great compost which has been maturing over winter:  dark brown and crumbly goodness.

And we've been digging out grass and weeds at the allotment, and supervising the chickens and ducks while they do the same in the veg patch.  I've collected a pile of cardboard for another small round of sheet mulch--possibly in and around the allotment's strawberry plants in the hopes it smothers grass long enough for the plants to flower and fruit this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment