25 February 2020

Almost spring: jobs

Well, my almond tree is just starting to flower, as are the daffodils here and there around the garden.  The little clump of snowdrops are nearly finished.  And I've utilized my clothes line a few times this month.  Is it spring yet?

As far as spring jobs go, my first (and most important!) is getting those peas in the ground.  Actually the husband and son have done it at the allotment while I've been at home with my feet up.  The husband put them on to sprout first--about 600 altogether--and has been putting in row after row.  He also put the broad beans and yellow mange tout peas on to sprout, but they haven't quite yet--maybe by the weekend they'll be ready to go in too.

It's still just a little early for me to start seed trays, but I'm doing a few this week:  onions and leeks (hopefully I have some seed left), and maybe a few other things.  The husband has promised to make up a new hot bed at the allotment, so I'll definitely get some seeds going there:  beetroot and lettuce maybe.  Or maybe something else entirely.

I got all my fruit trees/vine/bushes/etc pruned at last and have tied down branches on the apple trees to keep them semi-espalier.  The husband took six divisions from the artichokes to the allotment and says they have new growth;  I think he could take a few more.  And ducks and escaped chickens have done in what leafy greens were in the veg patch and planters, but it looks like new growth is coming.  They haven't discovered the daylily sprouts in the perennials section, which I have been snacking on myself--kind of like a mild oniony lettuce:  yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment