15 October 2019

Squash and pumpkins

Close up of a green squash growing against a wall
Hidden squash, September 2019
I'm a little disappointed in my green kuri squash production this year:  only two fruits.  I had about ten plants altogether, but only two of them survived transplanting--slugs I suspect.  Each vine gave one squash, both around the size of a volleyball:  not bad for what it was, but not good enough for what I wanted.  There was one each at the allotment and in the garden (the garden one was actually in a planter and I trained the vine up the house wall).

Next year I'll try direct seeding into manure piles as well as transplants.  And I'll try to get around 30 or more of those transplants:  we have plenty of space for them at the allotment, and I would love to get 30 or more squashes!  I saved the seed from my own fruits from last year, which in turn were saved from a supermarket specimen.



Pumpkins on the other hand, survived transplant much better;  I would say most if not all grew and produced.  However, the seed was obviously cross bred, as not all of the fruits turned out to be pumpkins!  The obvious ones (different shapes and colors) we just ate as zuccini, and enjoyed them very much.  Hopefully the five pumpkin-shaped and -colored ones are also -tasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment